Monday, July 20, 2009

peering out from the stacks


When it comes to collecting the past, few objects are more interesting to me than books. Of course, I adore that wonderful old musty smell, but there is a lot more to love. Everyone knows that old saying about judging by appearances, but the covers of so many old books are just gorgeous. Or intriguing. Or odd. I have a fair number of vintage and antique books myself, but I have a much larger collection of photos I took of books at my college. I feel very lucky to be around so many windows into the past practically all the time, but I doubt that very many other people there really look at them all that often. For example, I was the first person to read a three-volume history of the French Revolution (I had to cut the pages!) even though it was from the 1840's. Even if I don't have much to say about the book itself, an image is definitely worth sharing.

No comments:

Post a Comment